Study Reveals Alarming Presence of PFAS in Nearly Half of US Tap Water, with Urban Areas at Highest Risk

On Tuesday, the U.S. The Geological Survey reported that over half of U.S. tap water contains polyfluoroalkyl substances or PFAS.

Non-stick cookware and the linings of fast food boxes are two examples of consumer goods that include a class of chemicals that have been related to cancer, low birth weight, and thyroid disorders in humans. 

According to Kelly Smalling, the study’s principal author and research hydrologist, this is the first thorough study of its sort on uncontrolled private wells, providing information to typical consumers about the risks of PFAS when they grab a glass of water from their kitchen sink.

What Exactly Are PFAS, Often Known as Polyfluoroalkyl Substances?

According to the USGS, there are about 12,000 unique PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl compounds). Various forms of cancer and other adverse effects have been connected to the compounds, leading to the term “forever chemicals” being coined to describe them.

Products that claim to be waterproof or stain-resistant commonly use PFAS as the secret ingredient. Examples of these items are cosmetics, cassettes, outdoor gear, apparel, and rain gear. To prevent grease from seeping through food packing, they are also commonly utilized.

Read Also: Scientists Achieve Breakthrough: Sound Waves Eliminate Cancer Cells in Rats

What more does this research reveal?

On Tuesday, the U.S. The Geological Survey reported that over half of U.S. tap water contains polyfluoroalkyl substances or PFAS.

Geographical Focus

Smalling observed that the study revealed a higher prevalence of PFAS in urban regions, particularly in the “Great Plains, Great Lakes, Eastern Seaboard, and Central and Southern California. 

Additionally, PFAS was consistently identified in private wells located in areas already acknowledged as sources of PFAS contamination.

Scientists from the USGS hold the belief that there is a 75% likelihood of detecting PFAS in water within urban areas, whereas the chances of finding these chemicals in water in rural areas are only 25%.

As stated in the study’s press release, PFOS and PFOA were exceeded in every sample in which they were detected,” referring to the interim health advisories issued by the EPA in the previous year.

Read Also: Meta’s Twitter rival, Threads, attracts 10 million users, Zuckerberg announces

Source: USA TODAY via MSN

, , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *