Last week, Ocean One Grille, a popular restaurant located in Coral Springs, Florida, was ordered to close by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Health inspectors found an array of serious food and safety violations during a complaint inspection on March 8th. The inspection discovered 14 violations, several of which were repeated.
Live Insects in Various Areas
The inspection report showed that inspectors found live flying insects in different areas of the kitchen, food storage areas, and bar area. Specifically, two live flying insects were seen landing on clean pots in the dishwashing area, while approximately 30 live flying insects were found in dry storage areas adjacent to the kitchen. The inspection also noted that the areas were not separated by a door or any other barriers. Five live flying insects were observed landing on the kitchen wall, which was a repeat violation.
Mold-Like Substances and Other Violations
Additionally, the inspection found an accumulation of black/green mold-like substances in the interior of the ice machine/bin, which was also a repeat violation. The inspection also found various food items stored on the walk-in freezer floor and the dry storage floor, another repeat violation. The inspection report revealed cooked chicken wings being held cold at 46 degrees Fahrenheit on a makeshift table, and were only placed in the unit 45 minutes before inspection.
Other violations included a missing soap at the hand wash sink in the bar, which was a repeat violation, and no proof of required state-approved employee training was available for some employees. Finally, inspectors found ready-to-eat, time/temperature control for safety food prepared onsite and held for more than 24 hours, was not properly date marked. No date was marked on the cooked chicken wings and rice stored in the walk-in cooler.
Stop Sale Issued
The inspectors noted the serious violations and issued a stop sale at the restaurant. Consequently, the restaurant has been ordered to remain closed until all violations are corrected, and it is deemed safe to reopen.